Red Sox Retooling For Second Half
BRANTFORD - The first half of the Brantford Red Sox's 2022 Intercounty Baseball League season threw all kinds of adversity at the organization - from an offseason break-in and theft at the stadium, to player injuries and turnover, to pandemic-induced sponsorship shortfalls, to other issues that can't even be published.
Much of this has led to a lack of on-field success, to the disappointment of both the team and its fanbase. After getting off to an 0-19 start, the team started to gain some momentum at the beginning of July however. The Red Sox finally secured their first win on July 8, and followed it up with a second win on the 13th.
The Brantford Red Sox also continue to work on solidifying their lineup prior to the roster deadline later this month. The team recently signed Brantford natives Aiden Colangelo and Jordan Young, as well as import players Jamiel Orozco and Kendri Salvador. This season's extended schedule presents a challenge, as most college players will return to school in mid to late August and be unavailable for the playoffs. Expect more tweaks to the roster to come, as the team looks ahead to August and player availability is further known.
In the community, the Brantford Red Sox hosted very successful fundraising events for both the Stedman Community Hospice and the Brant County SPCA, with the team's fans generously supporting both causes!
The Brantford Red Sox have seven home games remaining in the regular season. A few noteworthy upcoming games include:
- Friday July 22 8 pm vs. Guelph Royals - Brantford Minor Softball night: Free admission for BMSA players in game jerseys, half price admission for family members. M&M Food Market at 185 King George Rd. in Brantford will be joining us to throw out the first pitch, and they're bringing free samples! Brantford Fire will also be on site pregame with their truck and tips to keep you safe this summer! And Brantford's own Shaelee Sheppard will be perfoming the National Anthem.
- Saturday July 23 8 pm vs. London Majors - Just announced: Free admission for all fans courtesy of your Brantford Red Sox!
- Friday July 29 8 pm vs. Barrie Baycats - Skilled Trades Night, pregame from 6 to 8pm, sponsored by Elite Welding Solutions & Elite Welding Consumables. Local companies will be attending with displays of their products and equipment. Company representatives and Journeypersons will welcome questions about their apprenticeship, products and their companies. Parents with interested students are encouraged to attend to learn how Journeypersons keep Canada running in both infrastructure and exported products. Plus demonstrations, displays and activities, and door prizes! And Brantford's own Shaelee Sheppard will be perfoming the National Anthem.
- Saturday August 13 8 pm vs. Welland Jackfish - Brantford's own Shaelee Sheppard will be perfoming a pregame concert, and then singing the National Anthem. Brantford Fire will also be on site pregame with their truck and tips to keep you safe this summer!
- Friday August 19 vs. 8 pm Toronto Maple Leafs - It's Fan Appreciation night for our last regular season home game. The Works Craft Burgers & Beer at 80 Dalhousie St in Brantford has a free Tower-O- Rings voucher for the first 50 fans. And Brantford's own Shaelee Sheppard will be perfoming the National Anthem.
Golf fan can help support the Brantford Red Sox by entering the Brantford Red Sox golf raffle. The ultimate golf lover's prize package includes a dozen rounds of golf at local courses, restaurant gift cards, and more. Tickets are $10 each or 3 for $20 and can be purchased at all Brantford Red Sox home games, and through the team's online store. Draw takes place on August 19.